Recipe: Brazie's Cassata Cake
Eaten a dish at an area restaurant that you’d do just about anything to make at home? Email us at email@example.com to tell us about it. Then let us do our best to deliver the recipe By Popular Demand.
I have been dying to know the exact recipe for the unusual cassata cake at Brazie’s. I ask the waitstaff every time we go for clues as to its magic, and the most I’ve gotten is that the cake itself is actually from a mix, but the filling and top icing are what make it amazing. There is a prominent amaretto taste, clearly some cream and sugar, but the entire thing together is spectacular, and my sleuthing isn’t doing the trick! – Erin Schreiber
Courtesy of Brazie Mazzola of Brazie’s Ristorante
2 9-by-13-inch cakes
1 box Betty Crocker yellow cake mix
1 box Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix
2½ quarts heavy cream
6 oz. cornstarch
¼ cup cinnamon
2 cups sugar
11 oz. (1/3 liter) amaretto
1 jar Elmer Chocolate Gold Brick Topping*
• Bake the yellow cake and the chocolate cake in separate 9-by-13-inch pans according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
• In a large saucepan, whisk together the heavy cream, cornstarch, cinnamon and sugar over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in the amaretto until blended.
• Slice the cakes in half, crosswise. Cover the chocolate layers with half of the warm frosting and then top with the yellow cake layers. Cover the yellow cake tops with the remaining frosting. Refrigerate for 2 hours, until set.
• Before serving, heat the chocolate topping in the microwave or on the stove until melted. Drizzle the desired amount of chocolate on the cake and allow it to cool and harden.
* Elmer Chocolate Gold Brick Topping is available at General Candy Company, 4800 Oleatha Ave., St. Louis, 314.353.1133, generalcandycompany.com
More stories like this
5 grilling tools Beast Craft BBQ David Sandusky can't live without
Beast Craft BBQ's David Sandusky recommends 5 must-have items for home grillers.
Recipe: One-Skillet Chicken Dinner
Prepare a full weeknight meal in one pan with this easy One-Skillet Chicken Dinner recipe.