Recipe: One 19 North’s New Orleans BBQ Shrimp
Eaten a dish at an area restaurant that you’d do just about anything to make at home? Email us at email@example.com to tell us about it. Then let us do our best to deliver the recipe By Popular Demand.
The New Orleans BBQ Shrimp at One 19 North in Kirkwood are so rich and delicious. I have searched other similar recipes to try and re-create them at home, but somehow they’re never quite right. I would absolutely love it if you could ask them for the recipe and post it for us readers. – Laura Hepburn Engert
One 19 North Tapas and Wine Bar’s New Orleans BBQ Shrimp
Courtesy of One 19 North’s Christopher Delgado
6 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
Half a yellow onion, diced
1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
1 Tbsp. Old Bay seasoning
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ lb. butter, cubed
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
1 lemon, sliced
2 bay leaves
¾ Tbsp. whole black peppercorns
2 to 4 sprigs thyme
1 to 2 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
20 tail-on Gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined, divided
1 cup 40 percent heavy cream, divided
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Chives, green onion or parsley, finely chopped, for garnish
• In a 2-quart, heavy-bottomed saucepot, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent. Add the smoked paprika, Old Bay seasoning and cayenne pepper. Cook until fragrant.
• Add the garlic, butter and Worcestershire sauce. Stir. Reduce heat to medium-low.
• Make a bouquet garni by placing the sliced lemon, bay leaves, peppercorns and thyme sprigs in a cheesecloth. Tie closed with butcher string. Place the bouquet garni into the sauce, reduce heat to low and simmer gently for 25 minutes.
• Remove the sauce from heat, add the rosemary and let cool. Remove the bouquet garni and squeeze any remaining juices from the bouquet into the sauce.
• In a 12-inch saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over high heat. Working in batches of 10, sear the shrimp in the oil for 20 seconds, then flip the shrimp and add a 2- to 3-ounce ladle of the sauce to the pan. Drizzle ½ cup of heavy cream over the shrimp and reduce heat to medium. Simmer the shrimp in the sauce 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the shrimp and place on a serving dish. Continue to simmer the sauce in the saute pan until thickened, another 1½ minutes. Pour the thickened sauce over the cooked shrimp.
• Repeat the above step with the remaining 10 shrimp.
• Season with salt and pepper, and garnish with chives, green onion or parsley. Serve with slices of toasted ciabatta.
One 19 North Tapas and Wine Bar, 119 N. Kirkwood Road, Kirkwood, 314.821.4119, companionstl.com
More stories like this
5 grilling tools Beast Craft BBQ David Sandusky can't live without
Beast Craft BBQ's David Sandusky recommends 5 must-have items for home grillers.
Recipe: One-Skillet Chicken Dinner
Prepare a full weeknight meal in one pan with this easy One-Skillet Chicken Dinner recipe.