Recipe: S’mores Skillet Pie
S’mores are a classic American summer dessert. It’s hard to go wrong with chocolate, graham crackers and freshly toasted marshmallows. I used two mini cast-iron skillets to make little s’mores pies, but you can easily put them in one standard cast-iron skillet, too.
The marshmallows are crispy yet gooey, the chocolate is luscious and rich, and the crust is freshly made and buttery. They require little effort and make a beautiful presentation for party. The best part – you can just pass out spoons and dig in together.
S’mores in a Skillet
Adapted from a Smitten Kitchen recipe
6 to 8 servings
1¼ cups graham cracker crumbs
4 Tbsp. (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted
2 pinches of kosher salt, divided
1 cup heavy cream
7 ounces chopped chocolate or chocolate chips, preferably 60 percent cocoa
1 large egg at room temperature
2 to 3 cups mini marshmallows
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat 1 large cast-iron skillet (or 2 mini cast-iron skillets) with cooking spray and place them on a sheet pan.
• In a large mixing bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, butter and a pinch of salt until the mixture feels like damp sand in your hand. Press the graham cracker mixture on the bottom and up the sides of the skillet in an even layer.
• Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until a bit golden and smells toasty. Let cool. Leave oven on.
• Meanwhile, bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat and add the chocolate and the remaining pinch of salt. Do not stir. Let rest 2 minutes, then whisk until smooth. Let rest another 2 minutes, then whisk in the egg. Pour the mixture into the cooled crust.
• Bake 10 to 15 minutes, until the chocolate jiggles very slightly in the center. Let cool completely.
• Preheat the broiler.
• Completely cover the chocolate with the marshmallows. Broil 2 minutes, until the marshmallows are toasted to desired color.
• Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 3 days. Reheat by baking 5 minutes in a 350-degree oven.
Amrita Song is a longtime contributor to Sauce Magazine who blogs at A Song In Motion.
Tags : Recipes
More stories like this
8 recipes to make when you're snowed in
Looking for some ideas on how to creatively your Snowmageddon stockpile of bread, milk, eggs and ...
Recipe: Simple Beef Stew
This simple beef stew recipe can be make easily in an Instant Pot or a traditional ...