12 reasons to go to Peppe's Apt. 2 in Kirkwood
The only thing wrong with Peppe’s Apt. 2 is that it’s closed on Sundays and Mondays. The rarely changing Italian-American menu isn’t trendy or creative, but it is excellent every single time (and we return often).
1. The halibut with truffled breadcrumbs and lemon-white wine sauce is delicate and delicious.
2. The cannoli – four fresh, tiny shells piped with ricotta cream – are the ideal shareable dessert after you’ve had too much.
3. The fettuccine Alfredo is the stuff of your childhood Pasta House dreams. Accept the table-side sprinkling of Parmesan. It doesn’t need it, but you might.
4. Classic, affordable Italian wines by the bottle like tried-and-true sangioveses and Chiantis
5. The shrimp scampi. Get either the appetizer or the entree, but don’t miss it.
6. The lighting is low – very low – golden and glowing.
7. The over-the-top crystal-encrusted decor
8. The people-watching. Rich ladies with coiffed hair – it’s like a diamond district in there.
9. The sesame bread is soft, free and the perfect way to start your meal.
10. Peppe Profeta himself is known to give long-stem roses to ladies on Valentine’s Day, as well as complimentary glasses of bubbles.
11. Lucy Johnson, our favorite server, has an eye on you and swoops in before you even know you need anything.
12. The panna cotta draped in bright raspberry sauce is a strong finish.
Meera Nagarajan is art director at Sauce Magazine.
More stories like this
First Look: Morning Glory Diner on Cherokee Street
Cherokee Street will add a diner to its diverse array of eating and drinking establishments when ...
First Look: Balkan Treat Box in Webster Groves
Balkan Treat Box in Webster Groves, Missouri will open doors on Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2019.