11 reasons to go to Utah Station in Benton Park
Utah Station executive chef Chris Bertke spent years perfecting his plant-based proteins with the look and texture of ground beef, gyro meat and even chicken to create vegan versions of fast food favorites. Bertke is the first to say his food isn’t healthy – but it is damn good. Here are 11 reasons we love Utah Station.
1. Buffalo cauliflower that actually keeps its crunch when soused in sauce
2. Crack Tacos that recall only the fun parts of a 2 a.m. Jack in the Box run
3. Veganized fried chicken sandwiches and nuggets that are straight-up witchcraft
4. A double smash burger so meat-like, it fooled our intern
5. The dining room feels like an extension of the upcycled brick patio when two huge garage doors open during nice weather.
6. Vegan T-ravs so good they should be on The Hill
7. Bertke’s random specials test the limits of what can be veganized, from meatloaf to turkey roulade to a meatball sub.
8. A custom two-tiered fire pit provides plenty of warmth and extra seating on cool nights.
9. Thinly shaved roast beef that’s not beef with dairy-free cheddar cheese sauce
10. The Good Time Meals combine happy hour and Happy Meals with a four-piece nugget or cheeseburger, a small fry, a mini Miller High Life and a surprise – just like when you were a kid (sort of).
11. The menu also features a real beef burger and meat pizza toppings, so even carnivores can find something they’ll love.
Catherine Klene is managing editor, digital at Sauce Magazine.
More stories like this
Mother's Fish has been a St. Louis landmark for over 30 years
The Morris family continues to run Mother's Fish in St. Louis, Missouri, the best way they ...
Eat this Taiwanese popcorn chicken from Tai Ke
It would be a big mistake – huge – to overlook this dish on Tai Ke’s ...