Sep 02, 2014

The Scoop: Mango’s new digs

May 29th 04:05pm, 2009

Mango Peruvian Restaurant is on the move: The popular eatery – STL’s only Peruvian restaurant – will swap its Shrewsbury location for the space at 1101 Lucas Ave., home to Mosaic before it moved around the corner, by the end of the summer. Owners Jorge and Nora Calvo and partners Paul and Sherri Sawchack plan to transform the downtown spot’s interior to contemporary urban style with Peruvian accents. Guests can also expect some new additions to the menu.

Photo by Josh Monken

By Katie O’Connor

Tags: , , , , ,

8 Responses to “The Scoop: Mango’s new digs”

1. Kelly Butler Says:
    June 1st, 2009 at 12:58 pm

I will miss the in Shrewsburry. I always enoyed how low key it was at MacKenzie Pointe and often took my kids to dine there.

2. Claus Schmitz Says:
    June 5th, 2009 at 11:33 am

Welcome to our neighborhood. We are so happy that you have chosen Mosaic’s first home. Your product will enhance the choices for the entire city…..Good Luck and Welcome

3. Jackie Young Says:
    June 12th, 2009 at 9:09 am

Totally bummed that Mango is leaving Shrewsbury! I always bring out-of-town guests there and they love it. Will never go downtown just to eat – lack of safe parking, have to pay to park, too dead at night unless there’s a ball game (and I’ve worked downtown for years so it’s not like I’m some west county-ite or Illinoisan who is scared to ever come downtown) The rent has to be many times more than at McKenzie Point. Too bad – we’ll miss you.

4. Kate Spencer Says:
    June 12th, 2009 at 11:42 am

Too bad, I think not! I am very excited about Mango moving to Washington Ave. It’s a great location with tons of parking and tons of places to eat. It’s incredibly safe– they have bike cops everywhere. My gym is on this street and I am there nearly everyday. Ms. Young, you should be ashamed to not support your city much less a restaurant that you apparently enjoy. I am so excited about being able to visit Mango more often, it’s a good move on their part. City proud!

5. Kelly Scheffer Says:
    June 12th, 2009 at 12:58 pm

In contrast to the poster who won’t go downtown, I am very happy to see more restaurants going in. Most other cities have lively downtown areas, and it’s about time that St. Louis has the same. I’ve heard great things about Mango but have never been there (don’t have much reason to be in Shrewsbury!) but I’m sure to go if it’s downtown…and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

6. Cady Scott Says:
    June 12th, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Welcome to Washington, Calvos (and Sawchaks)! I’m so excited to be able to visit you for lunch and post-work dinners. The old Mosiac space is a great location and, while I know you’ll be missed in Shrewsbury by the locals, I am glad you’ll have more exposure to the whole region – and the region will have exposure to Palta Rellena Peruana and your other great dishes. And with the 40 open again, the drive time home for me will be about the same. Congratulations on the move!

7. Sherry Says:
    September 30th, 2009 at 11:54 am

The original Shrewsbury location is still open. The restaurant in the Washington Ave. loft district is a second location.

8. Paul Sawchak Says:
    September 30th, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Just to clarify, our Shrewsbury location will remain open for dinner Tuesday through Saturday, with no changes to the menu or staff. We will not be open for lunch there, however.

Our downtown location is smoke-free and is open for lunch and dinner 7 days a week, including happy hour and late night hours.

Thanks for your patronage and kind words. We look forward to seeing you soon.