Oct 31, 2014

The Scoop: Shaking it up in the Square

August 24th 10:08am, 2009

Soda Fountain Square, the family-friendly Lafayette Square restaurant, has become a private event space. “It will now be open exclusively for parties for ‘children of all ages,’” said co-owner Bethany Budde in an e-mail. Budde cited the demands of her other restaurant, SqWires, and its SqWires Annex event space as the reason for the change. For information on booking an event at Soda Fountain Square, call 314.241.0099 or 314.865.3522.

By admin

Tags: , , ,

5 Responses to “The Scoop: Shaking it up in the Square”

1. LafSqResident63104 Says:
    August 24th, 2009 at 11:35 am

This is such a shame. I live in Lafayette Square, and always found Soda Fountain Square to be inexpensive and delicious. It will be sad to see a virtually empty space on that corner, but I have to say I’m not incredibly surprised. Their lack of consistent hours combined with consistently terrible service are just two of the many factors that contributed to this, I’m sure.

SqWires management should sell this off and give it a real chance to succeed. Their strategy of treating it as a ‘lesser venue’ obviously failed; give someone else a chance to make this gem sparkle.

2. mjjj Says:
    August 24th, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Totally agree with LafSqResident63104. We wanted to love it.. and sometimes did in the beginning. Later, the horrible service kept us away for months on end. Someone with a little creativity, excellent service acumen, and great food would be a tremendous success at that location. So much potential.

3. southstlman Says:
    August 28th, 2009 at 7:54 am

Just have to third what was said above. I loved the burgers at the square and the cherry shake was one of my favorites. What was not my favorite was the fact that the service was so terrible it was almost laughable. Why they never fixed it is beyond me.

4. Emmisary Says:
    September 1st, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Agreed on all counts. I loved the atmosphere, food and location – I work just minutes away and hit SFS regularly. Cheap and tasty but, yes, the service was too often slow or subpar. Still – where am I gonna get a good burger and some tator tots now?

5. sjay Says:
    September 14th, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Very sad to see this. My husband was BIG on the slingers. The service was poor many times, but we kept coming for the food. I would consider a party there though.