Oct 23, 2014

The Scoop: New coffeehouse to give The Grove a jolt of daytime action

May 20th 02:05pm, 2013

The Grove is a hopping place in the evening, but with a new coffeehouse set to open this summer, the neighborhood can expect more of a daytime buzz. Rise will makes its home at 4180 Manchester Ave., on the same block as the new nightclub Honey and the restaurant and craft cocktail watering hole Sanctuaria. Rise, a project by owner Jessie Mueller, will focus on serving sustainable sustenance – with fair trade, organic coffee by local roaster Goshen Coffee, and baked goods from Kaylen Wissinger’s recently opened sustainable bakeshop Whisk.

“I was looking to create a daytime place for The Grove,” said Mueller, whose background is in the field of social work, specifically in community building. “To me, coffee is community. That’s what brings people together.”

Rise will be a two-story coffeehouse, including a brew bar and approximately 15 seats on the first floor. The upper level will feature soft seating in a front area; the back area will house a craft table, a chalk wall, toys and other creative play options for children.

Although Mueller does not have a background in the world of coffee, she noted that, in preparation to open a brew bar that uses a variety of new age brewing methods, she has been working closely with Goshen Coffee as well as learning intricacies of the craft from local coffeehouses like Sump and The Mud House. In addition, she traveled to Portland, Ore., to research its coffee scene and receive further hands-on training.

The coffeehouse is expected to open in August, although folks craving a jolt of java (or beer) can stop in on Sat., June 1, when Rise participates in Indie Hop, an annual event that showcases the unique flavors of businesses in The Grove as well as Cherokee Street. When Rise does open, its hours are expected to be 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., Tuesday through Sunday. Mueller noted that she would eventually like to expand her hours of operation into the evening. Rise’s website is currently under construction and is scheduled to launch within the next two weeks. In the meantime, you can follow its progress on Facebook.

By Ligaya Figueras

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

5 Responses to “The Scoop: New coffeehouse to give The Grove a jolt of daytime action”

1. Maria Says:
    May 20th, 2013 at 10:34 pm

First, let me say how incredibly excited I am for a coffee house to open in The Grove! Nice work. This has been needed for a long time, and just as the article said, it is needed for The Grove to turn into more of a daytime destination. However, “creative play options for children?!” Screaaaaaaaach. NO. NO. NO. The Grove is a cool, relaxing place for grab drinks and socialize. This is not Chesterfield with soccer moms running around with two-year-old on each arm. I simply cannot imagine grabbing a coffee, studying, or going on a coffee date to a place with screaming kids playing at a craft table next to me. Please, please reconsider the kids area! I think that will be a tremendous deal breaker for this place, and I really want to see it succeed.

2. Eric A. Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I completely agree with the above poster. There are 2 types of people who dominate The Grove: hipsters and gays. I don’t see either group feeling too keen about sipping a cup o’ joe next to a screaming toddler making a glittery crown at a craft table, while suburban moms oogle over their every move. Kudos to Rise, but I really hope this fits the cool, unique, indie vibe of The Grove, and isn’t something that would fit in Chesterfield. I too hope they reconsider the kids play area thing. Weird idea that kinda kills it. I’ll give it a shot until the kids annoy me :)

3. Rachele Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Actually it sounds like the set up will be similar to Hartford Coffee Company where the play area is separated from the rest of the space. I’ve never found the play to be obtrusive there. There are ways of making it work. Suburbanites aren’t the only ones with kids. City people can be parents, too. What’s with the stereotyping?

4. Jessie Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I totally get it with the kid’s area thing, but as an urban mama, I’ve spent a great deal of time trying to find independent (non-chain) community spaces inclusive of children as to not feel isolated. There are 3 schools within a 2 mile radius of Rise and many families are moving into the neighborhood to get into these high performing schools (City Garden, Language Immersion). This city needs young families to move in and stay. Creating areas inclusive of children and urban families is the future of our city, and Rise hopes to encourage a sense of community not just for the (super rad) Grove hipster movement, but for people like myself who struggled with finding creative space that I could bring my child to. Plus, it will be upstairs, well away from the primary seating area and brew bar. If it just doesn’t work, we’ll reevaluate, but my hope is it will work, and the community will support it. We shall see….. :)

5. Cat Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 10:27 am

I feel ya, Eric A.; I was imagining something like Hartford as well. Let’s not forget that hipsters, gays (gasp!) and urbanites of all walks have children, too. Child-rearing is NOT a strictly suburban endeavor, and we need to do more to make this city family friendly for any revitalization efforts to succeed in the long run.