Nov 25, 2014

By the Book: Nigella Lawson’s One-Step No-Churn Coffee Ice Cream

May 21st 01:05pm, 2013

Last night was a late night. I was at the office until around 10 p.m., drove through what felt like a hurricane and arrived home weather-beaten and starving. Luckily, I found some takeout in the fridge and the energy to make Nigella Lawson’s One-Step No-Churn Coffee Ice Cream, although it didn’t require much energy at all. It literally took 7 minutes to make the ice cream base and stick it in the freezer.

Full disclosure: I have been a fan of Nigella Lawson for years, because so many of her recipes are easy and I’ve had success with them. In her newest book, Nigellissima: Easy Italian-Inspired Recipes, she applies her signature style – “Recipes that excite the imagination without stressing the cook” – to dishes like: Shortcut Sausage Meatballs and Spaghettini with Lemon & Garlic Breadcrumbs. But I wanted to try out her ice cream recipe. I’ve watched her make various no-churn ice creams over the years from bitter orange to pomegranate that don’t require making a custard, which can be a pain, or an ice-cream maker. This last part is exceptionally great, because most people don’t have one.

The recipe was really easy, the longest step being making the whipped cream, which I did in a stand mixer. The ice cream turned out wonderfully, with a strong coffee flavor from the liqueur and espresso powder, and a velvety richness from the condensed milk. This book has a plethora of low-maintenance dishes like this one, making it awesome for cooking for a crowd – or even at 11 o’clock at night when whipping up a dish by yourself is the last thing you want to do.

One-Step No-Churn Coffee Ice Cream
Makes 1 pint

2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 Tbsp. instant espresso powder
2 Tbsp. espresso liqueur
1¼ cups heavy cream
1-pint airtight container

• Put the condensed milk in a bowl and stir in the espresso powder and liqueur.
• In a separate bowl whisk the cream until it reaches soft peaks.
• Fold the cream into the condensed milk mixture, then pour this gorgeous cafe-late-colored airy mixture into an airtight container and freeze for 6 hours or overnight.
• Serve straight from the freezer.

Who makes your favorite ice cream in town? Tell us in the comments section below for a chance to win a copy of Nigellissima. We’ll announce the winner in next week’s By the Book column.

And now, we’d like to congratulate Mary, whose comment on last week’s By the Book column has won her a copy of Cindy’s Supper Club. Mary, keep an eye out for an email from the Sauce crew.

By Meera Nagarajan

Tags: , , , , ,

20 Responses to “By the Book: Nigella Lawson’s One-Step No-Churn Coffee Ice Cream”

1. Diane Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Crown Frozen Custard in Waterloo has the best ice cream/custard on the IL side of the MIssissippi River!

May 21st, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I am totally in love with Serendipity! They have amazing caramel ice cream and just as amazing dark chocolate (gold coast). YUM!

3. Laurie Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I absolutely adore coffee ice cream. I will be making this whether or not I win the cookbook. Oh, and I’ve loved Nigella for years! Love her attitude toward cooking and entertaining.

4. Laurie Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 1:54 pm

But my favorite local ice cream is Serendipity!

5. Lisa Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Crown Candy Kitchen. Great ice cream. Great malts. Great shakes. Great sundaes. Great atmosphere.

6. Vicki Park Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Our favorite freshly made ice cream in Saint Louis is “Ted Drewes” located on Chippewa. When we have out of town visitors, they always want to go there.
    Another personal favorite of mine for fresh custard is “The Custard Station” in downtown Kirkwood on W. Argonne by the train station. They make an awesome chocolate custard, not just chocolate syrup stirred in. It’s a nice stop on a hot summer’s day after visiting “Summit Produce” at the “Kirkwood Farmer’s Market” just down the street! :-)
    Can you say “YUM”??? Darn it, now I am craving it!! Thanks Sauce Magazine!! :-)

7. Kirsten Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I love Serendipity’s chocolate peanut butter!

8. Carla Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Ted Drews!

9. N W Miner Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Serendipity! Love the deep rich chocolate.

10. sarah jane Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 2:55 pm

While Ted Drews is amazing, I with I could transplant myself back to childhood, and go to Fritz’s in Florissant after a long summer day. My absolute Favorite!

11. Lauren Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Well, I’m going with a gelato- the salted caramel at Pastaria. HOLY DELICIOUS

12. Kiley Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Gelateria del Leone on Grand!

13. Lauren Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Serendipity coffee ice cream is amazing.

14. Amy Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Fritz’s or Doozles in Florissant!!!

15. Kim Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Ted drewes peach concrete — yum!

16. Luke Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Gelateria del Leone is fantastic!

17. Lindsay Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 9:56 pm

After recently moving to the Metro East, I’ve fallen in love with Bobby’s Frozen Custard in Maryville. Their turtle sundae is absolutely amazing!

18. Mark Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 10:05 pm

The Brandy Alexander ice cream cocktail at Fountain on Locust is such a guilty pleasure. There’s so much to love about the way they pair their ice cream with home-made toppings and fine spirits. Nigella would love the utter indulgence!

19. Stacey Waldron Says:
    May 22nd, 2013 at 11:12 am

I can totally see eating this for dessert and complementing it with a fine glass of wine. Can’t wait to try it!

20. Frances Says:
    May 28th, 2013 at 10:56 am

I love going to Ice Scream Cakes on Cherokee – their flavors are so creative – i LOVE LOVE their dark chocolate orange habanero ice cream! The moment you feel the heat from the peppers – the cream softens it. Delicious. Also, their ice cream cakes are crazy fun!