Sep 02, 2014

A surfeit of sauces – at Home Depot!

February 23rd 11:02am, 2010

021810_dirtydogsCustomers exiting the Home Depot locations in Sunset Hills, Brentwood and Chesterfield Valley do a double take when they see the Dirty Dogz hot-dog stand condiment table.

That’s because owner Jason Gaines keeps more than 200 condiments for customers to put on the dogs, brats, hot links, Kielbasa, Polish and smoked sausages, and turkey dogs. It’s a positively gluttonous array of around 50 mustards, 12 ketchups, 20 barbecue sauces and 100 hot sauces, plus horseradish sauces, wasabi and mayo. The sight of all the little jars clustered in neat rows is enough to make a foodie want to begin some serious empirical testing to determine the best and the hottest.

“Sometimes people don’t even really want the hot dogs – they just want the condiments,” admitted Gaines.

The accommodating snackmeister (who, incidentally, races hot-air balloons when he’s not dropping dogs in buns) said that he started his stands about five years ago with a selection of only about five mustards at each location. “Customers kept recommending different mustards and sauces to me, and I bought them, and it just kept growing,” he explained.

Now, in addition to being able to top your dog with the usual relish, kraut, sport peppers, onions, etc., you can try such exotic condiments as Silver Spring Peppadew Mustard, Blair’s Wasabi Green Tea Hot Sauce, Melinda’s Habanero Ketchup, Marie Sharp’s Grapefruit Pulp Habanero Hot Sauce and even a thick, tasty honey-based barbecue sauce concocted by a St. Charles farmer.

The condiment combinations are pretty much endless – unless you happen to disagree with Gaines’ sports allegiances, that is. A sign at each Dirty Dogz stand reads “Prices double for Chicago Cubs fans.”

– Byron Kerman

Photo by Byron Kerman

By Bryan A. Hollerbach

Tags: , ,

9 Responses to “A surfeit of sauces – at Home Depot!”

1. Paul Says:
    February 23rd, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I always go to home depot when I want a hot dog. Too delicious even without all the condiments. His extensive list of toppings outside of the sauces is worth mentioning as well in my opinion.

2. Veggie Says:
    February 24th, 2010 at 12:08 am

I would love to support Dirty Dogz but they do not offer a vegetarian hot dog. Too bad – even vegetarians get cravings for snacks at Home Depot, and sometimes a Hershey’s bar just won’t cut it.

3. Eric Says:
    February 24th, 2010 at 2:06 am

Veggie, if Dirty Dogz will accept recommendations to carry a good 200-some sauces, it might be worth suggesting a good veggie or tofu dog to them if you haven’t already. If they have enough demand to carry a turkey dog, surely a veggie dog would be within the realm of possibility too.

4. Veggie Says:
    February 24th, 2010 at 10:55 am

Eric,

I have asked the workers at the hot dog stand for veggie dogs. They say they don’t carry them. Who else would you recommend that I contact?

5. admin Says:
    February 24th, 2010 at 11:40 am

Hi, Veggie. I confess to being a carnivore–in fact, after reading Byron’s entry, I visited the Sunset Hills location (and quite enjoyed the visit, on which I chatted with the owner’s father). However, I did experiment with vegetarianism perhaps six or seven years ago, and curiosity compels me to ask if the quality of veggie hot dogs has improved? Back then, I tried everything to make ‘em taste…well…edible, and nothing seemed to work–grilling, marinading, whatever. Do you have a recommended brand or preparation?

Bryan

6. Veggie Says:
    February 24th, 2010 at 2:52 pm

Bryan,

My favorite brands are the Tofurkey brand veggie dogs. http://www.tofurky.com/tofurkyproducts/sausages.html The grill well on the BBQ. I became a vegetarian about the time you tried it, and I’ve benefited by the improvements of all prepared foods. I recall an episode of Hell’s Kitchen from a few seasons ago where the cheftestants were asked to taste prepared meat & chicken dishes and figure out what’s missing. What was missing? The meat – Gordon had used fake meat products in those dishes. No one figured it out.

7. admin Says:
    February 24th, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Thanks, Veggie. Those at least look appetizing. The veggie hot dogs I sampled tasted like hot dog-shaped Naugahyde. Not even the Doberman would touch ‘em, and he’d generally eat creek gravel if we doused it with grease.

Bry

8. Veggie Says:
    March 1st, 2010 at 11:37 am

Bryan,

Just wanted to say thank you for the March issue of Sauce! A vegetarian issue. How cool!

9. admin Says:
    March 1st, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Thanks, Veggie. Everyone had a challenging but fun time assembling the issue–we’re glad you like it.