Sep 01, 2014

The Scoop: New place to Nosh in Maplewood

June 2nd 04:06pm, 2010

060210_noshFoodies should plan to hit downtown Maplewood later this month, when Nosh The Neighborhood Bistro debuts there.

Chef and owner Paula Anderson is targeting the third week of June to open the restaurant at 7322 Manchester Road, former site of Maravelle Café. “Maravelle Catering will remain in the same building,” she told us. “They are such wonderful caterers and do such a great job that they do not have time to run a café.

“My 20-year-old daughter, Carlin Starr, who is a law student at Webster University, will be working side by side with me,” Anderson continued, “as well as my very good friend Angela Komis, who is an excellent chef, who is coming onboard with us. We were fortunate enough to study in France together when we were culinary students.”

Anderson plans to use “as much locally grown, free-range, grass-fed and organic ingredients as we can.” The seasonal menu will include various flatbreads, entrées and desserts. “We’ll have a whole line of noshes, as you can imagine – that’s our name,” she said.

One of Nosh’s dishes Anderson described with particular pride: its clams. “We actually cook them on the open grill, the fire, and then we drizzle them with a little olive oil, some pine nuts, some fresh tomato and a little bit of feta. They’re really great because they’re like their own utensil – you just pick them up and bite them. A little fennel in there, it’s just absolutely delicious and fresh, a little lemon squeezed on top.”

The bistro will seat roughly 40 people. It will have a full-service bar, and Anderson hopes also to feature live music for late-night customers.

Nosh’s hours will run from 11 a.m. to midnight Tuesday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 1:30 a.m. Friday, 9 a.m. to 1:30 a.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday. It will shortly launch a Web site and Facebook page, Anderson said.

By Bryan A. Hollerbach

Tags: , , ,

9 Responses to “The Scoop: New place to Nosh in Maplewood”

1. JK Says:
    June 2nd, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Webster University doesn’t have a law school…perhaps a slight embellishment.

2. Paula Says:
    June 3rd, 2010 at 11:50 pm

Dear JK:
    Carlin’s major is legal studies and she will graduate with a degree in legal studies. She will then go to law school. No one said that she was in a law school or that Webster had a law school. She is studying law at Webster. Sorry that is all you got out of the article, we really are not folks who fabricate. Please come and see us when we open for a great meal we would love to serve you.
    Sincerely,
    Paula Anderson

3. Jessica Callahan Says:
    June 5th, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I am looking forward to coming out and dining at this new bistro. Angela is a very good friend of mine. I really think that Lola did not push her to her full potential. I wish all of you the best of luck!!!

4. Stephanie Says:
    June 13th, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Congratulations, Paula! Please let me know when we can come visit. Have a cold beer ready for us!
    Stephanie Miller

5. Ryan Surtin Says:
    June 15th, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Congratulations, Paula. I wish you the best of luck! I hope all is well.

Ryan Surtin

6. Laura Green, L2K Says:
    July 7th, 2010 at 7:38 am

Looking forward to playing at Nosh this Friday, 7/9/10, 7-11, Paula, during Maplewood’s Let Them Eat Art !

7. Karen Says:
    August 11th, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Okay, quit talking about going and GO already! Just not on Monday, they’re closed. I tried on a Monday, then went back on Wednesday. Really great menu and food. My beef kabob was served over couscous flavored with lemon, blueberry and feta. Outstanding! If you all want great placse to eat, support them. I hope everybody tries the flavorful (and HEALTHY) food. Great atmosphere, lovelly art. By the way – if you ever had some great baked goods(think no sugar, sweet potato pie) at Schlaffley’s Bottleworks farmer’s market on Wednesdays – that same lady provides the De-Zerts at Nosh. Like you even need another reason to go!!! Get your famished self on up there.

8. Dee Says:
    August 18th, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I really like Nosh! The clams are very tasty and I like how they incorporate locally grown foods and local artists’ paintings. The owners are very friendly and accomodating and ready to please. I will going back to Nosh very soon and hope to have the same experience as last time. Cheers :-)

9. food critic Says:
    December 2nd, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I recently stopped in at Nosh to have a cup of soup and warm up. I had read on your menu that you had studied in France and was looking forward to sampling your food. As a traveler who has also been to several different countries including France I was looking forward to your French Onion soup. I must say that I was sorely disappointed in both the soup (being overly sickeningly sweet) and the service with which it was delivered. Twenty minutes for a cup of soup that was inedible and a server who couldn’t care any less about who she was serving. When I questioned the length of time to be served she remarked that the length of time was due to the special preparation required for the dish. Obviously she didn’t know what she was serving for there was only two other patrons to be served. The waitress neither offered to exchange or replace the soup after I remarked that it was unacceptable. While the decor was nice and the fruited water was rather frou frou, the cost of the soup was not worth ambiance of your establishment. Nosh is a popular franchise in the UK and I had hoped that you were part of that organization. Alas, no.