Sep 02, 2014

The Scoop: Horseshoe House to bring famous Springfield sandwich to Delmar Loop

January 26th 05:01pm, 2011

12611_horseshoeIf you are among the St. Louisans who trek to Springfield, Ill., for a horseshoe sandwich, you’ll be happy to hear that soon you can enjoy this specialty calorie-buster much closer to home. Horseshoe House, known as H2 for short, will open the first week of February at 6100 Delmar Blvd., in the space formerly occupied by Modai Sushi Lounge.

The open-faced sandwich starts with a thick slice of Texas toast. Next comes meat such as a hamburger patty, followed by a pile of french fries and a smothering of white or yellow cheese. Horseshoe House will offer a variety of horseshoe sandwiches – hamburger, turkey, a veggie burger, buffalo chicken, Philly steak and gyro as well as the original horseshoe, served at, among other Springfield establishments, the famed Maid-Rite Sandwich Shop in Springfield. Highlights of the home-style food include house-made root beer as well as loose meat sandwiches, which co-owner Helen Quaisi described as “a sloppy Joe without the sauce.”

Look for Horseshoe House to serve lunch and dinner seven days a week, with a late-night bar operating Wednesday through Saturday. In addition, a hookah lounge, called the H2 Hookah House, will open in the basement of the restaurant. Look for a Facebook page soon.

By Ligaya Figueras

Tags: , , , ,

19 Responses to “The Scoop: Horseshoe House to bring famous Springfield sandwich to Delmar Loop”

1. Tweets that mention Sauce Magazine Blog » Blog Archive » The Scoop: Horseshoe House to bring famous Springfield sandwich to Delmar Loop -- Topsy.com Says:
    January 26th, 2011 at 7:35 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by HotGhettoMusic, Sauce Magazine. Sauce Magazine said: Famous horseshoe sandwich from Springfield, Ill., is coming to town. Where can you find this calorie-laden treat? http://saucemag.us/gKPSjp [...]

2. Jason Stokes Says:
    January 26th, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Horseshoe came from the Leland Hotel, but grew famous at the Red Coach Inn. Please don’t ever let Maid-Rite claim that title. :)

Also, their horseshoes suck. This one better step up.

3. Helen Says:
    January 26th, 2011 at 11:16 pm

There was a miscommunication about where the Horseshoe originated…It hails from Springfield, IL. I am not trying to take credit for the discovery of the horseshoe! However, Maid Rite’s horseshoe is extremely popular and it is all a matter of taste-so try for yourselves! We have many different horseshoes to offer! At the end of the day I want nothing more than to satisfy my customers-I WILL make you happy! I live by it!

4. Sarah Draper Says:
    January 26th, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Horseshoes are horrible! I went to Springfield with my boyfriend one time and we were pretty disgusted. I won’t have one, but the Hookah sounds good!

5. Andrea G Says:
    January 26th, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Horseshoes have been available in Greenville, IL (closer to St. Louis than Springfield, IL) for at least three decades. Two restaurants there still serve their versions of the horseshoe. When I was a child I used to get a “pony” at Hickey’s restaurant, which was a just smaller serving of a horseshoe.

6. Bill Burge Says:
    January 27th, 2011 at 1:49 am

Only because I ran across this once before when looking for something to eat in Springfield: a discussion of the history of the Horseshoe.

7. BOOTH Says:
    January 27th, 2011 at 4:31 pm

People would really have to goat the bathroom after this meal

8. Jim Says:
    January 28th, 2011 at 11:28 am

There’s a reason why these things haven’t caught on outside of Springfield. Covering food items in cheese fries is only a good idea when you are ridiculously high.

9. nidaa Says:
    January 29th, 2011 at 12:06 am

This is one of the best thing ive tried so far here in St.louis and the first place to even serve a horseshoe. I love it and i will be going back for more :)

10. Diaa Says:
    January 29th, 2011 at 12:07 am

One word to describe a horseshoe…. Amazing.

11. Liath Says:
    January 29th, 2011 at 12:19 am

Horseshoes are amazing! I can’t for this place to open! I am from springfield and I moved to stl for college and I’m so excited to have this place bring a piece of home back to me! And maid rites horseshoe is incredable! It brings the old fashioned loose hamburger sandwich to a whole nother level! And there is talk that maid rites famous homemade root beer will be served here too! I can’t wait! And ill definetily be a hookah customer too! This place is my new favorite spot!

12. L Frankie Says:
    January 29th, 2011 at 12:20 am

I cannot wait for this place! This is very exciting for the STL area! Esp since it is on Delmar! I am looking forward to trying this horseshoe idea!

13. Li Says:
    January 29th, 2011 at 12:24 am

I can’t wait for this place to open! I’m from china and this horse shoe sounds amazing! I love food and ill love this place! Plus I’m very excited to try this homemade rootbeer! And I can’t wait to smoke a very good hookah with all my friends!

14. nidaa Says:
    January 29th, 2011 at 12:35 am

Love it ! So delicous and coulnt wait until St.louis had a place that makes horseshoes!!!!!

15. Matt Says:
    January 29th, 2011 at 11:56 am

I like to consider myself a pretty hungry guy, and i have come to find very few meals are capable of filling me up with out sides or extra appetizers. But that was until i had my first horseshoe sandwich. No better way to describe it other than saying that it is a mans meal! Granted there are healthier options, but who really wants that anyway? If you haven’t tried one you have to at least make it out to give it a shot. You would be denying yourself from a quality, filling, delicious meal if you didn’t!!!

16. Liath Says:
    January 29th, 2011 at 4:53 pm

I was born and raised in springfield I’ll and I miss the horseshoe more then anyone else I know. I can’t wait for this place to open to have all my good memories come back! Even the maid rite famous homemade rootbeer is gonna be available! Thus place is gonna be great in everyway! I encourage all people from st louis to try this place because I know for a fact they are going to enjoy a horseshoe as much as the next person! Plus the hookah bar in the basement is gonna be a blast! Its definetly going to be nessessary to enjoy a hookah after a fufilling meal! I can’t wait for this place to be open! I’m gonna love it and I’m sure the rest of st louis will love it too! Great people great service and of course great food!

17. Food Dude Says:
    February 1st, 2011 at 11:06 am

I’ll try just about anything once, and so it went with my first Horseshoe in Springfield several years ago. It’s the kind of awful regional creation that makes you feel embarrassed to live in the Midwest. Yum, nacho cheese, toast, meat, and crinkle cut fries from Sysco. And when in doubt, add a hooka, a trend that died a few years ago on the coasts but continues to gather steam in stl.

18. Eyad Says:
    February 23rd, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Horseshoes are the best!!! Its opening Friday! :)

19. STL Today Says:
    February 26th, 2011 at 1:21 am

This will be the next BIG THING!!!! Congratulations St. Louis, this is a satisfying treat.