2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp. curry powder
1 carrot, sliced
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into large cubes
14 oz. chopped tomatoes
Generous 2 cups vegetable stock
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 cinnamon stick
3¾ cups crimini mushrooms, quartered
14 oz. canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and garlic and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened.
• Stir in the curry powder and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until it releases its aroma.
• Add the carrot and butternut squash, increase the heat to medium, and stir well so that the vegetables are coated with curry powder and onion, then add the tomatoes, stock, tomato paste and cinnamon stick.
• Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until the squash is nearly tender.
• Stir in the mushrooms and chickpeas and cook for another 10 minutes.
• Season to taste with salt and pepper, remove from heat, and serve immediately with chopped cilantro.