Chocolate-Coffee Ice Cream Cake
For the brownie layer:
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cubed
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup flour
For the chocolate-coffee ice cream:
2 cups mascarpone
½ cup heavy whipping cream
½ cup 2 percent milk
2/3 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
¼ cup Kahlua
3 Tbsp. brandy or dark rum
3 oz. high-quality dark chocolate, melted
For the no-churn ice cream:
1 cup heavy cream
7 oz. condensed milk
2 Tbsp. bourbon
Pinch of salt
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inch springform pan.
• Melt the butter in a saucepan. Remove melted butter from the heat and add the chopped chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted and let cool.
• Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat together the sugar, eggs and vanilla on high until pale. Whisk in the chocolate and butter.
• Gently stir in the flour until just combined and no white streaks are visible.
• Pour into pan and bake for 24 to 28 minutes. Let cool completely.
Chocolate-Coffee Ice Cream
• Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until combined and smooth. Chill in the refrigerator until cold, about 1 hour.
• Add the ice cream base in your ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions.
• While this ice cream maker churns, pour in the melted chocolate. The chocolate will harden and break into little pieces in the process.
• When the ice cream maker is finished, break up any remaining large pieces of chocolate. Store in an air-tight container in the freezer until ready to use. The ice cream should be soft enough to spread easily when assembling the cake.
No-churn Ice Cream
• Beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in the other ingredients.
• Store in an air-tight container in the freezer until ready to use. The ice cream should be soft enough to spread easily when assembling the cake.
Ice Cream Cake
• Once the brownie is cool, spread the ice cream evenly over the top, stopping ¼- to ½-inch from the top edge of the springform pan. Store any leftover tiramisu ice cream in the freezer.
• Place the pan in the freezer about 2 hours until ice cream hardens.
• Spread no-churn ice cream on top of the chocolate-coffee ice cream. Place back in freezer for 1 hour to harden.
• Decorate with chocolate shavings, sprinkles, chocolate sauce or cocoa nibs, if desired, and serve.