Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Cookies
1 large zucchini, ends trimmed
1½ tsp. Ener-G Egg Replacer
2 Tbsp. warm water
8 Tbsp. (1 stick) Earth Balance vegan buttery sticks, room temperature
¾ cup organic coconut palm sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2¼ cups flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. kosher salt
1 cup vegan chocolate chips or raisins
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat 2 cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray or line with silicone baking mats. Set aside.
• Shred the zucchini on the small hole side of a box grater. Roll the zucchini in paper towels or a clean dishtowel. Squeeze the towel over the sink and let the bundle rest 10 minutes, until the zucchini is dry. Measure 1 cup lightly packed, grated zucchini and set aside, reserving the remainder for another use.
• In a small bowl, combine the egg replacer with warm water and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
• In a large bowl using a hand mixer on high speed, beat the vegan butter and coconut palm sugar until creamy. Add the egg replacer mixture and vanilla and mix again until combined. Add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and mix until well combined. Fold in the grated zucchini, then the chocolate chips.
• Drop rounded tablespoons of the batter onto prepared baking sheets 1 to 2 inches apart. Bake 15 minutes, until the cookies puff up. Allow the cookies to cool to the touch before transferring to cooling racks.