Greek Yogurt-Chocolate Chip Cookies
I can seriously binge on chocolate chip cookies, so I’m often looking for slightly healthier alternatives. These Greek yogurt cookies are cake-like with a chewy edge. They taste very close to your standard chocolate chip cookies without the butter. The dough is very sticky, so be sure to set aside time for it to chill. These are incredibly satisfying for being on the healthier side, but you’ll still have trouble eating just one. Enjoy and happy baking!
¼ cup solid coconut oil
½ cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
¾ tsp. vanilla extract
¼ cup 2-percent or full-fat Greek yogurt
½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
½ cup whole-wheat flour
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. kosher salt
½ cup chocolate chips or chunks
Sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
• In a medium-sized bowl using a hand mixer, beat the coconut oil with the brown sugar and granulated sugars on high speed until combined, about 5 minutes. Add the egg, vanilla extract and yogurt and beat to combine.
• Use a spatula to fold in the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking soda and salt until mixed, then fold in the chocolate chips. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 3 hours.
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
• Wet palms and fingertips with water, then scoop 12 even-sized dollops on the baking sheet a few inches apart. Sprinkle the sea salt flakes over the tops of the cookies.
• Bake 9 to 12 minutes, until cookies begin to brown around the edges.
• Let cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.