Carmelized Onion-Dark Chocolate Ice Cream
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cups thinly sliced Vidalia onion (about 1 large onion)
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. water
4 cups half-and-half
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
Pinch of kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
6 egg yolks
• In a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil and saute the onion about 20 minutes, until very soft and golden. Add 1 tablespoon sugar and the water and cook 1 minute, until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
• Scrape the onions into the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times until pureed. Set aside.
• Prepare an ice bath.
• In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the half-and-half, the remaining 1 cup sugar, cocoa powder, the salt and 2 grinds of pepper. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat.
• In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Temper the yolks by whisking in 1 cup half-and-half mixture, then whisk the mixture back into the saucepan.
• Return the saucepan to low heat and stir frequently until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and whisk in the pureed onions.
• Pour the custard into a mixing bowl and plunge it into the ice bath, stirring frequently until cooled. Remove from the ice bath, cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
• Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.