Salty Caramel and Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes
½ cup sugar
⅓ cup canola oil
2 large eggs at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
¾ cup flour
½ cup buttermilk
½ cup cocoa powder
¾ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
Pinch of kosher salt
¾ cup Salty Caramel Sauce (recipe here)
¾ cup Dark Chocolate Mousse (recipe here)
¾ cup Milk Chocolate Mousse (recipe here)
Chocolate-Espresso Frosting (recipe here)
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
• In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla until combined. Add the flour, buttermilk, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt and whisk until just combined.
• Evenly divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake 18 to 22 minutes, until a knife inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Let cool completely.
• When the cupcakes have cooled, use a knife or a cupcake corer to remove the center, taking care not to go all the way through the cupcake.
• Fill each cupcake with 1 tablespoon Salty Caramel Sauce followed by 1 tablespoon Dark Chocolate Mousse and then 1 tablespoon Milk Chocolate Mousse.
• Generously ice each cupcake with Chocolate-Espresso Frosting.