3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
10 basil leaves, torn
4 sprigs thyme, stemmed
2 bay leaves, crumbled
20 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise and seeded
1 tsp. sugar
• Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
• Line a baking sheet with foil and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle the oil with salt and pepper, and scatter with half the garlic, basil, thyme and bay leaves.
• Lay the tomatoes cut-side-down over the oil and seasonings. Drizzle the remaining olive oil atop the tomatoes, then sprinkle with the sugar, salt, pepper and the remaining garlic, basil, thyme and bay leaves.
• Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes. Flip the tomatoes and continue baking until soft, but still able to hold their shape, about 30 minutes, checking every 10 minutes.
• Let cool, then transfer to a jar with any oil remaining on the pan. If you plan to keep them longer than 2 days, add additional olive oil to cover the tomatoes and refrigerate.