Roasted Tomato Compote
This compote is wonderful served over grilled fish or chicken, or rough chopped right out of the oven and stirred into hot pasta with plenty of grated Parmesan.
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
10 basil leaves, torn
4 sprigs thyme, stemmed
2 bay leaves, crumbled
20 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise and seeded
1 tsp. sugar
• Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
• Line a baking sheet with foil and drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle the oil with salt and pepper, and scatter with half the garlic, basil, thyme and bay leaves.
• Lay the tomatoes cut-side-down over the oil and seasonings. Drizzle the remaining olive oil atop the tomatoes, then sprinkle with the sugar, salt, pepper and the remaining garlic, basil, thyme and bay leaves.
• Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes. Flip the tomatoes and continue baking until soft, but still able to hold their shape, about 30 minutes, checking every 10 minutes.
• Let cool, then transfer to a jar with any oil remaining on the pan. If you plan to keep them longer than 2 days, add additional olive oil to cover the tomatoes and refrigerate.