1 quart water
¼ cup kosher salt
2 Tbsp. sugar
3 to 4 medium green beefsteak tomatoes, cut into ½-inch slices
½ cup cornmeal
½ cup flour
1 Tbsp. creole seasoning
¼ cup canola oil
Ranch or spicy aioli, for serving (optional)
• In a large pot, whisk together the water, salt and sugar until dissolved. Add the tomatoes and refrigerate 20 minutes.
• Meanwhile, in mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour and creole seasoning.
• Working 1 slice at a time, remove the tomato from the brine and shake off the excess liquid. Discard the brine. Gently dredge a tomato slice in the breading, coating both sides. Set aside and repeat with the remaining tomato slices.
• Preheat the oil in a cast-iron skillet over high heat to 325 degrees. Reduce the heat to medium-high to maintain.
• Working in batches, fry a few tomatoes slices at a time until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
• Let drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Serve with ranch or aioli for dipping, if desired.