Olio's Shishito Peppers
1 medium onion
1 cup white balsamic vinegar
1 cup water
1 Tbsp. sugar
½ lb. shishito peppers
2 Tbsp. olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
¾ cup Israeli feta, diced
2 mint sprigs, roughly chopped
2 dill sprigs, roughly chopped
2 Italian parsley sprigs, roughly chopped
5 to 6 oregano leaves, roughly chopped
2 sprigs basil, cilantro or other fresh herbs, roughly chopped (optional)
• Slice the onion very thin and place in jar.
• In a saucepan over high heat, combine the vinegar, water and sugar and bring to a boil, then pour over the onion. Let cool.
• Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
• Toss the peppers, olive oil, salt and pepper and place in an even layer on a baking sheet. Roast 5 minutes.
• Turn on the broiler. Char the peppers under the broiler until blackened on all sides.
• Transfer the peppers to a plate and garnish with the feta, drained pickled onions, mint, dill, Italian parsley and oregano.