3 medium red beets, scrubbed and trimmed
1 medium golden beet, scrubbed and trimmed
3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1½ tsp. kosher salt, divided
4 Tbsp. water, divided
1 cup balsamic vinegar
6 cups vegetable stock
2 Tbsp. vegan buttery spread, such as Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cups arborio rice
2 tsp. minced garlic
½ cup dry white wine or dry sherry
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
• In a large bowl, toss the beets with 1 tablespoon olive oil and ½ teaspoon salt. Place the red beets in a roasting pan with 2 tablespoons water. Place the yellow beet in a separate roasting pan with the remaining 2 tablespoons water. Cover both pans with aluminum foil and roast 40 to 50 minutes, until the beets are soft when pierced with a fork. Let the beets rest at room temperature until cool enough to touch.
• Meanwhile, pour the vinegar into a small pot and bring it to a low boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until reduced to ¹∕³ cup. Remove from heat and set aside.
• Use a paper towel to hold the beets and wipe off the skins. Discard paper towels and skins, and set the golden beet aside. Quarter the red beets and place them in the bowl of a food processor. Puree until no lumps remain, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Set aside.
• In a medium pot over medium-high heat, bring the vegetable stock to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to low.
• In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and the buttery spread. Saute the onion 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened. Add the rice and stir 3 minutes to toast. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Deglaze the pan with the wine, scraping up any browned bits, and cook 1 minute, until the rice absorbs the liquid.
• Reduce heat to medium. Add the stock to the rice mixture 1 ladleful at a time, stirring until the broth is absorbed before adding more. Cook 20 to 25 minutes, until all the stock is absorbed and the rice is tender but toothsome.
• Stir in the red beet puree and cook 1 minute. Stir in the lemon juice, pepper and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
• Remove from heat and serve immediately. Thinly slice the golden beet and garnish each plate with a couple slices, along with a drizzle of the balsamic reduction.