2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled and cored
¼ cup maple syrup
½ tsp. cinnamon
¾ cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
2 packages Wewalka puff pastry dough
1 Tbsp. water
• Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Meanwhile, line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
• Chop the apples into ½-inch cubes, then toss in a mixing bowl with the maple syrup, cinnamon and ½ cup cheese.
• Unroll the puff pastry dough and cut each piece into 6 equal squares.
• Place a generous spoonful of the apple and cheese mixture in the middle of each square. Use a brush or your finger to trace the edges of the pastry with water and fold one corner over to make a triangle. Pinch the the edges closed. Place 6 turnovers on each baking sheet.
• Whisk together the egg and water in a small bowl. Brush the top of each turnover with egg wash and sprinkle them with the remaining ¼ cup cheese.
• Bake 15 minutes, until golden brown. Serve warm.