1 3.5-oz. package enoki mushrooms
1 small head baby bok choy
6 cups chicken stock
1 medium-sized onion, sliced thin
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into thin diagonal slices
1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 oz. thin Chinese egg noodles
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
Salt to taste
• Rinse the mushrooms, trim off the base of the stalks and discard. Cut the remaining enoki into 2-inch lengths and set aside.
• Trim the base of the bok choy and discard. Chop off the leaves and cut them crosswise on a diagonal into 1-inch strips. Cut the base of the bok choy in half lengthwise, and cut each half crosswise on a diagonal into ½-inch strips.
• Fill a large bowl with fresh, cold water. Plunge the chopped bok choy pieces in the bowl, give them a good swish, then let the water come to rest so the dirt and residue settle on the bottom. Carefully lift the bok choy out of the bowl and transfer to a colander.
• Meanwhile, bring the chicken stock to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, carrots, ginger and garlic and let cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
• Stir in the noodles, mushrooms, bok choy and soy sauce. Lower the heat to low-medium, and let cook another 10 minutes, stirring periodically.
• Adjust the seasoning, adding salt if desired.