1 cup white jasmine rice
2 cups vegetarian chicken-style broth
¼ tsp. ground annatto
1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. annatto-infused oil, divided (see recipe)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
1 medium carrot, sliced in half lengthwise, then each half thinly sliced
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
8 oz. seitan, chopped*
½ cup corn
1 tsp. cumin
½ tsp. kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 medium cloves garlic, minced
½ cup cilantro, chopped
Salsa Lizano to taste**
• Add the rice, broth, ground annatto, and 1 teaspoon of annatto oil to a saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir once. Cover with a lid and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit 5 minutes, covered.
• Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of annatto oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion, celery, carrot and red bell pepper for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
• Add the seitan, corn, cumin, salt and black pepper to the skillet. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
• Add the garlic to the skillet and sauté for 1 minute.
• Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the cilantro.
• Serve the rice topped with the vegetables and seitan. Season each serving with Salsa Lizano.
*Seitan, a wheat protein, can be found refrigerated near tofu in stores such as Whole Foods Market.
**Salsa Lizano is a condiment from Costa Rica that can be purchased on the Internet.