Florentine Lace Cookies
The cookies turn out best when the dough has been refrigerated overnight.
Ingredients1 cup granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
½ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup shortening
3 Tbsp. honey
Pinch of cinnamon
¼ cup water
½ cup bread flour
1½ cup sliced almonds, roughly chopped
4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted
• Preheat the oven to 380 degrees.
• Place the sugar, salt, butter, shortening, honey, cinnamon and water in a small pot and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and cool the mixture to 130 degrees.
• Stir in the flour and the almonds. Refrigerate the dough for at least 6 hours or overnight until firm.
• Drop tablespoon-size balls onto a parchment-lined baking pan. Allow room between each ball, as the cookies will flatten as they bake. (For best results, do a test with one cookie to see how flat it bakes and to monitor how it browns in the oven.)
• Bake the cookies for 7 to 8 minutes until medium brown. Let them cool and peel them off the paper.
• Dip one end of the cookies in the chocolate, or drizzle the chocolate on top. Let the chocolate set.
• Store the cookies flat and at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.