¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 lbs. fennel bulbs, trimmed and very thinly sliced
2 lbs. Vidalia or other sweet onions
1 Tbsp. kosher salt
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried thyme
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
½ cup brown sugar
Freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. pickled mustard seed (Click here to find the recipe.)
• Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the fennel and onions and sprinkle with salt. Cover and cook until the fennel and onions are soft and begin to brown, about 15 minutes.
• Remove the lid and cook until caramelized and jammy, about 20 minutes longer.
• Add the garlic and the thyme to the pan and sauté 1 to 2 minutes.
• Add the vinegar and brown sugar and simmer for about 10 more minutes. Season to taste with pepper.
• Stir in the pickled mustard seed.