Fried Poached Egg Over Greens
For a video on how to make fried poached eggs click here.
4 slices of whole-wheat sandwich bread
4 large eggs
Flour for dredging
2 egg whites, whisked together for egg white wash
• Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
• Place the bread slices on a cookie sheet, and bake, 10 minutes per side. Allow to cool and pulse in a food processor until finely ground. Cover and store.
• Remove the eggs from the refrigerator and bring to room temperature.
• Drape a rectangle of PVC-free plastic wrap over a ramekin and spray it with cooking spray. Crack an egg into the plastic-lined ramekin, without breaking the yolk. Fold the short ends of the plastic wrap over the egg and each other (as if you are folding a letter), then tie the long ends of the wrap (as if you are starting a bow). Repeat with the remaining eggs.
• Fill a pot ¾ full with water and bring to a boil. Working in batches if necessary, place the egg bundles in the water with a slotted spoon. The bundles shouldn’t touch the bottom of the pot.
• Cook for 3½ minutes. Remove the bundles using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. The eggs may appear runny, but they will continue to cook while they rest.
• Cool the bundles to room temperature. Leave the eggs in their plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
• Bring the bundles back to room temperature. Untie the plastic and carefully remove the eggs.
• Season the flour to taste with salt and white pepper. Carefully dip a poached egg in the egg white wash, then dredge in the seasoned flour. Dip it in the egg white a second time, then roll it in breadcrumbs. Repeat with remaining poached eggs.
• Dress the salad greens with the vinaigrette and portion onto individual plates.
• Heat 1 to 1½ inches of canola oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat until a drop of water makes it sizzle. Using a slotted spoon, place the breaded eggs in the hot oil for 60 seconds, turning after 30 so that they brown evenly.
• Remove from the oil, blot on paper towels and place one egg on each plate.
Tags : Eggs