Five Bistro's Fried Deviled Eggs
Ingredients10 eggs, divided
Extra virgin olive oil for sauteeing
¼ cup onion, very finely diced
3 Tbsp. celery, very finely diced
Pinch smoked paprika
1 large white anchovy, pureed
2 Tbsp. creme fraiche
1 Tbsp. aioli (garlic mayonnaise)
½ tsp. to 1 tsp. whole grain mustard (depending on taste)
½ tsp. to 1 tsp. freshly grated horseradish (depending on taste)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Sriracha to taste
3 cups flour, sifted
3 cups bread crumbs, seasoned to taste with salt, pepper and 3 Tbsp. dry herbs of your choice
• Place 6 eggs into a pot filled with cold water. Bring the water to a boil. As soon as it reaches a boil, turn off the heat. Leave the eggs in the water for 14 minutes.
• Remove the eggs and plunge them into a bowl of ice water. Gently peel the skins, halve the eggs, reserve the yolks in a bowl and place the white halves on a plate.
• Heat enough olive oil to coat a saute pan over low heat, then gently sweat the onion and celery, until translucent. Add the paprika and anchovy, cooking gently until their aromas are released.
• Pass the cooked egg yolks through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl. In the same bowl, add the onion mixture, creme fraiche, aioli, mustard and horseradish. Season to taste with kosher salt, pepper and Sriracha. Mix.
• Spoon the egg filling into the whites of each egg and top off with any remaining filling.
• Beat the remaining 4 eggs and set aside.
• Dredge each deviled egg in sifted flour, then in the beaten egg mixture, then in the seasoned bread crumbs, patting off any excess at each step to help keep the breading light.
• Preheat the oil in a deep-fryer to 375 degrees. Deep-fry the eggs, until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain.
• To serve, place the eggs atop a bed of salad greens dressed in a vinaigrette.