Pomme Café and Wine Bar’s Apple Brie Toasts
2 Tbsp. whole cloves
2 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp. crushed nutmeg
4 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 1∕8-inch-thick half moons
¼ cup granulated sugar
½ cup dried apricots, halved
½ cup dried figs, stemmed and halved
½ cup dried apples, stemmed
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup raisins
1 lb. light brown sugar
¼ cup brandy
2 cups water
1 French baguette, sliced on a bias into 1∕8-inch-thick slices
¼ wheel of brie, cut into 1∕8-inch-thick slices
• Preheat the broiler.
• Using a spice mill, grind the cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg together to a fine powder. Set aside.
• Heat a saute pan over high heat and add the apple slices and granulated sugar. Cook, stirring constantly until the apples turn a golden color, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the caramelized apples from the heat and set aside.
• In a separate saute pan, combine the dried fruits, brown sugar and spice mixture and saute over high heat until the sugar melts and the ingredients meld together.
• Add the brandy and flambé, being careful to step away from the stove. When the flames die down, add the water.
• Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring constantly, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the sauce reduces to a thick honey-like consistency. Set aside.
• Place the French baguette slices on a foil-lined baking sheet. Top each slice with 1 slice of brie. Place the baking sheet under the broiler for 2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden.
• Finally, assemble the toasts: Place 1 to 2 slices of caramelized apples onto each toast. Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of the dried fruit mixture on top.
• Serve immediately.