2½ cups all-purpose flour
2½ cups cornmeal
2½ tsp. salt
2½ Tbsp. baking powder
2½ cups whole milk
¾ cup oil
1½ cups sugar
3 to 4 Tbsp. butter
3 to 4 Tbsp. rendered bacon fat
Whipped Honey-Thyme Butter (recipe here)
Honey for serving
• Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
• In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cornmeal, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
• In a separate container, whisk together the eggs, milk, oil and sugar.
• Whisk the wet ingredients into the flour-and-cornmeal mixture until just combined.
• Spray a 9-by-13-inch baking tray with non-stick spray. Pour the cornbread mixture into the tray, making sure it doesn’t fill more than 2/3 of the way up the tray. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool in the tray.
• Once cool, cut the cornbread into 3-by-1-inch rectangles.
• Right before serving, melt 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of bacon fat in a hot, large saute pan or cast-iron skillet. Add as much cornbread as will fit comfortably in the pan, approximately 6 to 8 rectangles, and fry until golden brown on one of the cut sides. Flip, and fry until golden brown on the other cut side. Remove to a serving platter. (For individual portions, place 2 rectangles on a plate.) Repeat with the remaining cornbread, melting 1 tablespoon each of butter and bacon fat with each batch.
• Slather the Whipped Honey-Thyme Butter atop the cornbread and give it time to melt, about 30 seconds (longer if the butter is cold).
• Serve with a side of honey.
This is, undoubtedly, one of the most delicious items on Taste's menu. In addition I heartily recommend the Corned Beef over Caraway Brussels (topped with an egg) and the Chicken Maltagliati. As for drinks, well you really can't go wrong but my go-to is the Far and Away. It's slightly sweet but deliciously boozy all at the same time. Enjoy!