2 boneless rib-eye steaks (see note above)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 to 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter
4 to 8 sprigs fresh thyme
• Let the steaks rest at room temperature for about 1 hour on paper towels to remove any excess moisture.
• Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
• Place a cast-iron pan (or heavy pan) over as high of heat as possible until the pan is just smoking.
• Liberally season the first steak with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, then place it in the pan for 5 minutes. For medium, flip and cook for another 5 minutes.
• Turn off the heat and drop in 2 to 3 tablespoons of butter and several sprigs of fresh thyme. Baste the steak for about 1 minute by tilting the pan and repeatedly spooning the melted butter over the steak.
• Transfer the cooked steak to a sheet pan and place it in the oven to keep warm while you make the other steak.
• Repeat the cooking process with the second steak. Let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.