Large flake sea salt or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
12 sea scallops, dry packed (no liquid solution)
½ lb. fresh mushrooms of your choice, thickly sliced
½ lb. young spinach, cleaned thoroughly
Cooking oil (such as a blend of olive and peanut oils)
1 ripe lemon
High-quality finishing extra-virgin olive oil
Special Equipment: 10-inch cast-iron skillet with lid
• Preheat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over high heat until extremely hot. Have a lid nearby.
• Sprinkle a thick layer of flake salt and black pepper on a plate. Place the scallops face-down on the plate, allowing the seasoning to be evenly distributed on the face of the scallops. Season the other side of the scallops generously with the flake salt only.
• Coat the hot pan with cooking oil. Quickly place the scallops in the pan, salt-and-pepper-side down, with an equal amount of space between them. Cook until the edges turn golden brown, about 45 seconds to 1 minute.
• Add the mushrooms into the empty space in the pan. Cover with the spinach, and quickly place the lid on top. Let cook for 3 minutes.
• Turn off the heat, remove the lid and transfer the scallops to a clean plate. The mushrooms and spinach should have captured the juices from the scallops and contributed their own. Add the mushrooms and spinach to the plate.
• Squeeze a little lemon juice over everything to bring out the flavor and finish with olive oil.
• Serve immediately.