1 28-oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, undrained
1 14-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. Sriracha
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 to 6 eggs
4 oz. feta crumbles (optional)
Flat leaf parsley for garnish
1 loaf crusty white bread or stack of pita
• Empty the cans of tomatoes and their juices into a medium bowl. Use your hands to squeeze the whole tomatoes into small pieces. Set aside.
• Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until soft and lightly brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and smoked paprika. Stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
• Add the tomatoes, Sriracha and a pinch of salt. Stir, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
• Bring the tomato sauce back to a boil over medium-high heat. Crack the eggs onto the top of the sauce, leaving space between each egg so that they don’t overlap. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the eggs reach your desired level of doneness, remembering that the eggs will continue to cook after the pan is removed from the heat.
• Sprinkle with feta and parsley. Serve inside the pan with bread or pita for sopping up all that tomato and egg goodness.