Recipe: Apple-Cheddar Turnovers
I made these sweet and savory turnovers with premade puff pastry dough – the best thing since any other premade bakery products, as far as I’m concerned. While you can and should take a shortcut with the puff pastry, do not use pre-grated, bagged cheese. There’s simply no substitute for freshly grated.
2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled and cored
¼ cup maple syrup
½ tsp. cinnamon
¾ cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese, divided
2 packages Wewalka puff pastry dough
1 Tbsp. water
• Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Meanwhile, line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
• Chop the apples into ½-inch cubes, then toss in a mixing bowl with the maple syrup, cinnamon and ½ cup cheese.
• Unroll the puff pastry dough and cut each piece into 6 equal squares.
• Place a generous spoonful of the apple and cheese mixture in the middle of each square. Use a brush or your finger to trace the edges of the pastry with water and fold one corner over to make a triangle. Pinch the the edges closed. Place 6 turnovers on each baking sheet.
• Whisk together the egg and water in a small bowl. Brush the top of each turnover with egg wash and sprinkle them with the remaining ¼ cup cheese.
• Bake 15 minutes, until golden brown. Serve warm.
Dee Ryan is a longtime contributor to Sauce Magazine.
Tags : Recipes
More stories like this
Recipe: Rhubarb Foster
Rhubarb is tart, sassy and tough, but it cooks down to a lovely soft goo that ...
Recipe: Seared Salmon Sushi Bowls
This seared salmon sushi bowl recipe has the best of both worlds: crisp skin and a ...