Make this: Grilled pineapple rum shortcakes
I love to set up a shortcake station. A platter of split biscuits, a bowl of the grilled, spicy pineapple and freshly whipped rum cream is a great way to end the evening.
2 cups flour
4 Tbsp. sugar, divided
2½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. kosher salt
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
1 cup cold buttermilk
2 Tbsp. heavy cream
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 pineapple, sliced 1-inch thick
Vegetable oil, for grilling
2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. rum
For the Shortcakes:
• Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
• In a food processor fitted with steel knife blade, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pulse to blend. Add the butter and pulse until fine meal forms. Transfer to a large bowl.
• Mix enough buttermilk into the flour mixture to bind dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead gently until combined, about 10 turns.
• Pat out dough to ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out rounds and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
• Gather scraps and pat out to ¾-inch thickness. Cut additional biscuits and place on baking sheet.
• Brush biscuits with heavy cream and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake until golden brown and firm to touch, about 18 minutes. Let cool and split.
For the Pineapple Filling:
• Prepare a charcoal grill for medium-high, direct heat or heat a gas grill to medium-high.
• Toss the pineapple in oil to coat. Grill 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
• Remove from the grill and cut into dice; transfer to a bowl. Stir in the rosemary, sugar and cayenne. Set aside.
For the Rum Cream:
• In a chilled bowl, use a hand mixer on high speed to whip the cream until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes.
• Add the powdered sugar and rum and whip to soft peaks.
• To serve: arrange split shortcakes on large platter. Spoon pineapple filling over shortcake and top with rum cream, as desired.
Tags : Recipes
More stories like this
8 hot sauces perfect for gifts
These hot sauces are guaranteed to elicit a response, however fiery it may be.
10 books to buy for a food & drink lover this holiday season
Here are some books that would make great gifts for the foodie in your life.