Make this watermelon, red onion and mint salad courtesy of Juniper’s Daniel Poss
When it’s too hot to cook, we crave recipes that rely on fresh summer produce to do all the work for us. This refreshing dish proves you can forgo the heat and still eat well in just a few simple steps – especially if you add a wine that complements your seasonal ingredients.
Watermelon, Red Onion and Mint Salad
Courtesy of Juniper’s Daniel Poss
1 small watermelon (preferably bradford, crimson sweet or black diamond)
Kosher salt, to taste
1 red onion, thinly sliced
Zest of 1 lime
3 Tbsp. honey
2 Tbsp. Banyuls or sherry vinegar
1 bunch mint, plus more for garnish
1 bunch basil, plus more for garnish
¼ cup grapeseed oil
• Cut the watermelon into large cubes and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle lightly with salt, then add the red onion, lime zest, honey and vinegar.
• Destem and tear the mint into the bowl. Gently stir ingredients to combine.
• Prepare an ice bath and boil a pot of water. Blanch the basil a few seconds in the boiling water, then move to the ice bath. Dry then destem the basil.
• In a blender, combine the basil leaves and grapeseed oil. Blend on high until the outside of the blender is slightly warm. Strain the basil oil through a fine mesh strainer lined with a coffee filter.
• Place the salad on a plate or in a bowl and finish with the basil oil. Garnish with additional herbs and/or fresh summer greens.
“Riesling! Already showcasing hints of lime and honey, riesling is the perfect companion for this dish. However, any off-dry wine will be OK with these fresh summer ingredients.” – Alisha Blackwell-Clavert, certified sommelier at Cinder House
German rieslings from Mosel and Rheingau
Noboleis Vineyards 2019 Dry Vignoles
Tags : Recipes
More stories like this
5 pie recipes from St. Louis bakers to try this Thanksgiving
Discover new classics and old favorites from some of our favorite local bakers that will have ...
Make this summer corn salad courtesy of Nexus’ Ceaira Jackson
This salad easily becomes a salsa – just add tortilla chips!
7 St. Louis-area breweries opening or expanding this spring
The season of new beginnings also means new entrants into the St. ...
The Neon Banana café will offer nutritious foods in Ladue when it opens in April
The Neon Banana, a café that will sell juices, açaí bowls, salads ...