1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 20-oz. can Young Green Jackfruit in brine*, drained
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 cup water
1 Tbsp. lime juice
1 Tbsp. orange juice
1 Tbsp. molasses
2 tsp. amber agave nectar
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
6 small flour tortillas
3/4 cup salsa
1 ripe avocado, sliced
¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro
• Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
• Add the cumin, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper to a quart-sized Ziploc bag. Seal and shake to combine.
• Place the jackfruit in a colander and rinse off any remaining brine. Pat dry. Using a sharp paring knife, cut the core out of the jackfruit pieces and discard. Cut the fruit into 1-inch wedges. Place the wedges and any seeds that have fallen out into the bag of spices. Seal and shake until all of the pieces are well coated. Set aside.
• Heat the oil in a medium-size skillet. Add the onion and saute until brown and glossy, about 5 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
• Add the tomato paste and stir until the onions and garlic are coated. Add the water, scraping up any burned bits on the bottom of the pan.
• Add the lime juice, orange juice, molasses, agave nectar and vinegar. Stir, bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
• Heat a second skillet over medium heat. Add the jackfruit and spices to the dry skillet. Toast the jackfruit, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is slightly dry to the touch and the spices are fragrant, about 5 to 10 minutes.
• Add the jackfruit to the onion mixture and continue to simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes. Use 2 forks to shred the jackfruit.
• Spread the jackfruit mixture evenly onto a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, watching to make sure it doesn’t burn.
• Divide the jackfruit mixture evenly among the tortillas. Top each tortilla with 2 tablespoons of salsa, avocado slices and chopped cilantro.
* Available at Olive Supermarket, 8041 Olive Blvd., U. City, 314.997.5168, stlouissupermarket.com
Tags : Jackfruit