Grilled red trout with almond butter and green bean salad
For the grilled lemon vinaigrette
4 grilled lemons (halved)
1 fresh lemon
2/3 cup blended oil
2 Tbsp. honey
1Tbsp. Dijon mustard
For the green bean salad
1 cup blanched, chilled green beans
3 cups pea shoots
Grilled lemon vinaigrette (recipe follows)
For the almond butter
½ cup brown simple syrup (½ cup hot water, 2 Tbsp. brown sugar)
¼ cup blended oil
1/3 tsp. salt
1 cup toasted almond flour
For the trout
2 Tbsp. fennel seed, cracked
1 orange, quartered and sliced very thin
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 6-oz. fillets red trout, skin on, pin bones removed
Almond butter (recipe follows)
Green bean salad (recipe follows)
Grilled lemon vinaigrette
• Juice the lemons. Blend the lemon juice with the rest of the ingredients.
Green Bean Salad
• In a mixing bowl, combine the vegetables and grilled lemon vinaigrette to your liking.
• Blend all of the ingredients together with a whisk, blender or food processor.
• Mix the fennel seed, orange slices and olive oil into a marinade. Marinade the trout fillets for 24 hours. Allow the fish to come to room temperature before cooking.
• Lightly season the skin and flesh of each fillet with salt and pepper, and then place onto a medium heat spot on the grill, skin-side down.*
• For a medium temperature, grill for 9 minutes.
• Finish with a squeeze of lemon juice.
• Brush a smear of the almond butter across each plate. Lay each trout fillet perpendicular to the smear. Place 1 cup of the green bean salad on top of the fillet where it intersects the smear.
*If using charcoal for the grill, you can throw some wood chips onto the coals before cooking the trout.
7036 Clayton Ave., Clayton, 314.932.7820, basso-stl.com