Vegan Green Bean Casserole
1½ lbs. fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 Tbsp. plus 2½ tsp. salt, divided
3 small red creamer potatoes
3 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
4 shallots, approx. 7 oz., peeled and sliced thin
¼ cup quinoa flakes
1 medium yellow onion, diced
12 oz. crimini (baby bella mushrooms), sliced
½ tsp. red pepper flakes
3 tsp. minced garlic
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 cups vegetable broth
1 Tbsp. sherry or dry white wine
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
• In a large pot, bring 3 quarts cold water to a boil. Add the beans and 1 tablespoon salt. Return to a boil and cook the beans until slightly tender and bright green, about 6 minutes. Drain the beans and plunge into a bowl of ice water. When cool, drain and pat dry. Set aside.
• Meanwhile, rinse the potatoes, leaving the skins on, and place in a small pot. Cover with cold water. Add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring potatoes to a boil and cook until soft and easily pierced with a fork. Drain and set aside. When cool to the touch, use your fingers to peel and discard the skin.
• Heat 2 tablespoons canola oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and ½ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the shallots are light brown and soft. Sprinkle the quinoa flakes over the shallots, stirring to coat the shallots with the flakes. Saute the mixture another 1 to 2 minutes, until the quinoa browns. Transfer the shallots and quinoa to a bowl and set aside.
• Wipe the skillet and heat the remaining tablespoon canola oil. Add the onions and saute until they begin to soften. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until they brown and release their liquid. Add the remaining teaspoon salt, red pepper flakes and garlic. Saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the flour and cook 1 minute. Add the whole peeled potatoes. Slowly add the vegetable broth and sherry, stirring well. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
• Use an immersion blender to purée the onions, mushrooms and potatoes until the sauce is smooth and lump-free. Stir in the green beans.
• Coat a 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Transfer mixture to the casserole dish. Top with the browned shallots and quinoa flakes. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes, or until heated through. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Tags : Green beans , Thanksgiving