Ingredients8 egg whites
¼ tsp. salt
8 cups powdered sugar, sifted, plus more for tossing
8 cups almond flour
¾ tsp. baking powder
½ cup all-purpose flour
6 Tbsp. orange zest
1 tsp. almond extract
• In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites on medium-low until frothy.
• Add the salt and turn the mixer to medium-high, whipping the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
• In a separate bowl, sift together the powdered sugar, almond flour, baking powder and all-purpose flour.
• Using a spatula, fold the dry ingredients, zest and almond extract in three additions into the bowl with the egg whites.
• Line a 18-by-13-inch sheet pan with parchment paper and spray generously with nonstick spray.
• Using your hands, press the dough evenly into the pan.
• Wrap the pan with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 4 hours prior to baking.*
• When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325 degrees.
• Remove the dough from the freezer and cut into 1-inch strips. Cut each strip on a bias into 2-inch pieces so that cookies look like diamonds.
• Toss each cookie in powdered sugar and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
• Bake the cookies 7 to 8 minutes, until puffed and lightly browned around the edges.
* Dough may be frozen up to 1 month.