Oven-Roasted Artichoke Hearts
If you cannot find fresh artichoke hearts or baby artichokes, Heath recommended breaking down 4 whole artichokes and removing their hearts.
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1 head radicchio, torn in large chunks
1 lb. fresh artichoke hearts or baby artichokes* halved
Kosher salt to taste
¼ lb. tasso ham**, diced
8 white anchovies, preferably boquerones***
Extra-virgin olive oil for garnish
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
• Reduce the balsamic vinaigrette in a small pot over medium heat until thick and syrupy and about ¼ cup remains. Set aside.
• Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
• Soak the radicchio in ice water at least 10 to 15 minutes to remove the bitter taste. Dry thoroughly.
• Toss the artichoke hearts in vegetable oil and salt to taste. On a sheet pan, roast the artichoke hearts 15 to 20 minutes, tossing every 5 minutes or so, until caramelized. Set aside.
• In a large pan, saute the ham over high heat 2 to 4 minutes, until just browned. Add the radicchio and saute until just wilted.
• To serve, spread the ham and wilted radicchio on a platter. Top with the roasted artichokes and the anchovies. Garnish with the reduced balsamic vinegar, a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and the parsley.
* Available at Whole Foods Market, 1160 Town and Country Crossing Drive, Town & Country, 636.527.1160, wholefoodsmarket.com
** Available at Global Foods Market, 421 N. Kirkwood Road, Kirkwood, 314.835.1112, globalfoodsmarket.com
*** Available at all Straub’s locations, straubs.com