Milagro Modern Mexican’s Tres Leches Cake
The tres leches cake at Milagro Modern Mexican soaks up a sweet, thick cream mixture that’s so addictive, Sauce reader Susan Dayton had to have the recipe. What time is dessert, Ms. Dayton?
Editor's note: Milagro Modern Mexican has closed.
3 cups cake flour
2½ tsp. baking powder
2 sticks (1 cup) butter
1¾ cups sugar
1½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 12-oz. can evaporated milk
Whipped cream and fresh berries or berry syrup, to garnish
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-by-8-inch cake pan.
• In a large bowl, sift together the cake flour and baking powder. Set aside.
• In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until creamed, about 1 minute. With the mixer running, slowly add the sugar until well combined. Add the vanilla and eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Slowly add the flour mixture, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add the milk and mix until the batter is smooth.
• Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake 25 minutes.
• Meanwhile, prepare the tres leches mix. In a large bowl, stir together the heavy cream, condensed milk and evaporated milk until well combined. Set aside.
• Remove the cake from the pan and place on a rack to cool. Once cool, place the cake on a serving plate. Poke several holes in the top with a skewer or fork. Pour the tres leches mix over the cake, allowing it to soak in.
• Serve with whipped cream and fresh berries or berry syrup.