Beef kebabs with cocoa-chipotle rub
2-pound tri-tip steak
¼ cup ground coffee
¼ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
2 Tbsp. chipotle chili powder
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. cumin
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Cut a 2-pound tri-tip steak
Special equipment: 6 bamboo skewers
• Soak the skewers in water. Meanwhile, prepare a charcoal grill for medium-high, direct heat or heat a gas grill to medium-high.
• Cut the steak into 1½-inch cubes and set aside.
• In a bowl, make a rub by combining the ground coffee, cocoa powder, chipotle chili powder, brown sugar, salt, cumin, cinnamon and black pepper. Liberally distribute the rub over the meat, coating all sides.
• Thread 3 to 4 cubes of meat on each skewer.
• Grill the kebabs 3 minutes per side. Remove from heat and tent loosely with foil 15 minutes before serving.
Tags : Beef