Trout en Papillote with Fennel
2 ½-lb. deboned trout, butterflied
2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
8 sprigs thyme, divided
2 sprigs rosemary, divided
2 tsp. butter, cubed
1½ cups very thinly sliced fennel, divided
½ cup very thinly sliced red onion, divided
8 thin slices Meyer lemon or 6 slices lemon and 2 slices orange
2 tsp. capers, for garnish
• Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
• Drizzle the inside of each trout with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, and place 4 sprigs thyme and 1 sprig rosemary in each. Dot 1 teaspoon butter in each, then close the trout.
• Toss the fennel and onion with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper.
• Cut 2 15-by-15-inch squares parchment paper. Place half the fennel and onion in the middle of each piece, and place 1 trout on top of each mound. Lay the lemons on top of the trout.
• Seal the packet by bringing together the edges of the parchment parallel to the length of the fish, and fold them down again and again until the fold rests against the fish. Take the open ends and twist or fold them under the packet.
• Place both packets on a baking sheet and bake 15 minutes. Place each packet on a serving plate, cut them open, sprinkle capers on top and serve.