Lavinia McCoy's Quick Caramel Cake
“For whatever the reason, every time I make that damn cake, [my family] thinks I’ve been laboring in the kitchen all day.” – Lavinia McCoy
1 box Duncan Hines Signature Golden Butter Recipe Cake Mix
1 cup sugar
6 Tbsp. salted butter, room temperature, cut into 6 pieces
½ cup heavy cream
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted, plus more if needed
• Prepare the cake in 2 9-inch round cake pans according to package directions. Let cool completely.
• In a medium saucepan over medium heat, constantly stir the sugar with a heat-resistant rubber spatula or wooden spoon. The sugar will clump and melt into a thick, amber-colored syrup.
• Immediately add the butter and whisk until it is completely melted, 2 to 3 minutes. The sugar will bubble rapidly when the butter is added.
• Very slowly drizzle in the heavy cream while whisking. The mixture will bubble rapidly and/or splatter when added. Boil 1 minute, then remove from heat and stir in the salt. Let cool.
• Slowly whisk in 1 cup powdered sugar until the desired consistency is reached, adding more sugar as needed.
• Drizzle the frosting atop the cake, or apply with an offset spatula.