Grilled Pork Tenderloin Skewers With Chipotle-Stout Barbecue Sauce
Ingredients1 package 6-inch bamboo skewers
3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
½ cup chopped yellow onion
2 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 cup ketchup
¼ cup malt vinegar
¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
¼ cup strongly brewed coffee
3 Tbsp. stout beer (such as Schlafly Oatmeal Stout)
2 Tbsp. light, unsulfured molasses
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1¼ tsp. minced canned chipotle chiles
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
2 1-lb. pork tenderloins, cut into 1-inch square pieces
• Soak the skewers in water overnight to prevent them from burning on the grill. The next day, remove them from the water and pat them dry.
• Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and the garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes until tender.
• Add the ketchup, vinegar, sugar, coffee, beer, molasses, tomato paste, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chiles and pepper. Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and set aside.
• Toss the pork pieces with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
• Thread several pork pieces onto each skewer and set aside.
• Heat a gas grill to medium-high. Grill the skewers until cooked on the outside and a little pink in the middle (medium).
• When the meat is almost done, brush it with the barbecue sauce.
• Finish cooking the skewers and then serve them immediately with extra sauce on the side.