Look for firm, deep red stalks. Generally, smaller stalks are more tender and less stringy. To remove strings from larger stalks, trim the base, then catch the strings with the edge of the knife. Pull towards the leaf end and discard the strings.
2 lbs. rhubarb, trimmed, washed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 lb. white onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 cup sultanas
1½ cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. whole yellow or brown mustard seeds
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
2 cups distilled malt vinegar
• Put all the ingredients in a 4-quart saucepan or preserving pan.
• Simmer over low heat for approximately 1½ hours, stirring frequently. When the relish has thickened and leaves a clear trail when a wooden spoon is pulled across the base of the pan, the relish is done.
• Don’t allow the relish to cook too quickly or it will stick to the bottom of the pan.
• Spoon the relish into warm, clean jars. Cover immediately with vinegar-proof (nonmetallic) lids.
• Date and label when cool. Store in the refrigerator. Use within 2 months.
Tags : Rhubarb