2½ cups veal stock (can substitute beef stock)
2 cups chicken stock
1 Tbsp. caraway seed
1 tsp. celery seed
¼ cup Thousand Island dressing
¼ to ½ cup sauerkraut, rinsed and drained well
1½ cups shredded corned beef
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 cups rye bread, cut into ½-inch cubes
3 Tbsp. melted butter
1½ cups shredded Swiss cheese
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
• Combine the stocks in a large pot, add the caraway and celery seed and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
• Whisk in the Thousand Island dressing.
• Add the sauerkraut to your taste and the corned beef, cover and simmer for at least 20 minutes. Season to taste with pepper.
• Toss the bread with the melted butter and arrange the cubes in a single layer on a baking tray. Bake until the bread is lightly browned, about 8 to 10 minutes.
• Preheat the broiler. Ladle the soup into six heatproof bowls and top each bowl with ½ cup rye croutons and ¼ cup Swiss cheese.
• Broil until the cheese is bubbly.