Candied Buddha’s hand
Ingredients1 Buddha’s hand
7 cups cold water, divided
2 cups sugar, plus additional for coating
• Wash the fruit and remove any brown tips, then slice thinly to make disks from the fingers and base.
• Place 2 cups of water and the sliced fruit in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Drain the water, and repeat the process twice more (for a total of three times).
• After draining the water a third time, add the sugar to the saucepan with 1 cup of water and stir until the sugar dissolves.
• Add the fruit slices and bring to a boil over medium heat. When it starts to boil, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
• Remove the fruit with a slotted spoon and separate the pieces on a cooling rack. Let sit for several hours or overnight to dry and set. Reserve the syrup for another use. (It’s great to use in tea or cocktails – visit the Extra Sauce section of saucemagazine.com for a recipe.)
• The candied fruit can be eaten as is, rolled in sugar or dipped in melted chocolate.